Dinner Guests
The girls were most excited about seeing their pygmy goats. I told Kelly about them earlier in the day, to try and get her excited about going. On the way out of the ophthamologist's office, I kept saying, "We're going to Marie's, Kelly. Marie has goats." I said that to her a few times. When we got home from the doctor's, I opened Kelly's door but she refused to get out of her booster seat, which is unlike her. I didn't understand why she sat there and kept repeating "Mommy" to me. But then I realized ... she was saying, "Ma-rie. Ma-rie." She wouldn't get out of the car because she wanted to go to Marie's. Is that cute or what? In the week since we went, she has been saying "Marie ... goat" to almost everyone she's run into. The only thing she's said as often as that has been "More pony" when she wants to watch her My Little Pony DVD.
But back to my story ... we went to the goat pen, but the goats were a bit skittish around us. This wasn't helped by the fact that Heather and Kelly kept chasing them. Marie gave us all some feed for the goats, which helped them finally warm up to us. But even when we left, they were nervous around us, probably because Heather and Kelly were still chasing them.
The girls loved the dogs even more than the goats. When we first got there, the girls were chasing and being chased by the two dogs (Luke and Shadow). Kelly especially kept getting licked in the face, because her face was easiest for them to reach. When we went outside, the girls got to really run around with the dogs. They took turns throwing a frisbee for the dogs, and J. joined in with them. When the girls weren't throwing the frisbee, they were rolling down the hill. Janna is by far the best at it. Heather is getting the hang of it, and Kelly can do all right as long as you help her get started out. They all loved it equally, though.
Once the girls wore themselves out, we went inside for dinner. Can I just say, Marie is only 17 and she is a darn good cook! When I was 17, it was a running joke that I couldn't make microwave brownies without getting batter on my shoes. (Guilty as charged.) Marie, on the other hand, made a great spaghetti sauce from scratch, and had made-from-scratch brownies for dessert. I still do most of my cooking with mixes, so I was impressed at what a good cook Marie is, especially for her age. Heather refused to even try a brownie, which shamed me as her mother (really, who turns down chocolate?). Kelly ate about half of her brownie quite happily, then slid down out of her chair, leaving the other half on her napkin. She walked around our chairs, sidled up beside me, and stole the brownie from my plate and ate it. That's right, she left her brownie to come and steal mine. I'm glad Marie saw it, and I wasn't the only one, because it was surprising and very funny.
Janna had only met Marie once before, and knew practically nothing about her. So it was exciting for Janna to go into Marie's bedroom and see the 60+ horse posters covering the walls (Janna loves horses), and to see several books from the biography series that Janna is currently reading on Marie's shelf.
When we finally left, it was well past the girls' bedtime. Janna and Heather fell asleep pretty quickly on the way home, but Kelly stayed awake the whole time. By the time she went to sleep, it was two hours past her bedtime. She seemed in good spirits the next day, but her teacher's first words upon seeing me were, "Today was a baaaaad day." (Oops!) Despite the late night and resulting bad tempers, we're hoping to visit Marie and Rich again in a few weeks. Thanks, y'all, for having us over!
Click on the "my photos" link in the sidebar to see pictures!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home