Pupdate
Yes, we have a crate for her. Yes, we put her in it when we leave the house or when we need her to be confined for a little while. But it's not working for us at night. The crate is downstairs, and it's way too big and heavy to be unfolding and packing up the stairs every night. And we won't put her downstairs while the rest of the family is upstairs, because we don't want to isolate her from her "pack."
So for the time being, she's on our bed. As soon as she can make it through the night without peeing, we'll be putting her in her crate for the night. Or once she's completely housebroken, we'll let her sleep wherever she wants to. Janna and Heather are already devising ways to get Milky to sleep in their bed. That's fine with us. We don't care where she sleeps, provided it's not our bed.
Before we brought her home, I was looking online for pictures of lab puppies, so I could show the girls what Milky would look like at her current age. I found someone online who breeds labs for hunting dogs. She had pictures of her puppies each week and described what they did with the puppies that week to socialize them and get them ready to be bought. One week, the breeder described introducing the puppies to birds, to see which ones had the strongest hunting instincts.
I didn't pay much attention to that when I read it.
Then yesterday I took Milky out in the backyard to go potty. Some geese were flying overhead and honking as they flew. They didn't go directly over our house, but they were about a half a block away. When they passed by, Milky heard the honking and looked up to see where it was coming from. She saw the geese, and scurried for the porch so she could go inside!
I guess she wouldn't make much of a hunting dog, huh?
Last week, she was exploring our yard and the next-door neighbor's yard. She was trotting through the grass towards their house when their dog spotted her from the back door. Their dog barked once. Milky yelped and immediately turned around and ran for the house. It was a little pathetic but very cute and endearing.
Our biggest challenge with her right now (besides housebreaking, of course) is teaching her "bite inhibition." That's the technical term for "not biting too hard." We had to do some reading online, because she was driving us crazy with her sharp little puppy teeth. And all of our arms look like we've stumbled through a briar patch. According to the websites we saw, puppies generally learn bite inhibition by playing with their littermates. If they bite too hard, the other puppy yelps, and gradually they learn to control how hard they bite. Ever since we read that, there's been a constant stream of yelps and yipes in our house.
At first it seemed to work like a gem! She wasn't biting so hard, and she seemed to be calming down also. But the last couple of days, she couldn't have cared less whether we yelped or not. That just made it more fun for her to bite us. We gotta keep working on that.
So now I tell Milky the same things I used to tell my girls: "It's a good thing you're so cute!"
I'll try to post some updated pictures soon. It's hard to get any photos of her, because if she's awake, she's running around like a crazed animal. She was sort of still the other day when I was taking her picture, but that's because she was chewing on the camera strap -- which also makes it hard to take a good picture of her. I'll keep trying.

3 Comments:
Hi Lisa,
I can sympathize with you on the housebreaking. We have never allowed our dogs to sleep in our bed. Dogs naturally keep their bedding area clean. Jazzy has a pen next to Jess's bed. The first night she slept right through and kept everything clean. The next night she cried a couple of times and Jess took her out. Now she has learned that when she cries Jess will take her out and so no one got much sleep last night. Tonight the pen goes in the bathroom where she will not be heard so loudly. No one will take her out. This sounds harsh but it's the way dogs learn. Once she is housebroken she will sleep on her bed next to Jess and she will be allowed to use the doggy door and come and go as she needs.
The next thing to learn is how to go up and down the stairs. This is always fun and we get it on video.
Milky is teething. She will chew on everything so make sure she has lots of toys. My rocker bares the scars of two previous puppies.
I'm glad to see you have a dog that the girls can play frizbee with, that is if J. will give them a turn. :)
Yeah, we bought a variety of chew toys before we brought Milky home, because we knew she'd be teething. She just prefers to chew on US rather than her toys. Go figure!
Good luck with the housebreaking yourself. It's been a loooong time since I've had to housebreak a puppy, and I had forgotten how much fun it's NOT.
Jazzy is an adorable puppy! I love cocker spaniels!
Ouch, we have now become a smorgasbord! Jazzy has lots of toys and sticks from the backyard but it seems she prefers our toes.
And she's a pill. She goes in and out the doggy door and just when we think she's catching on, she puddles on the kitchen floor. Well, at least it's not the carpet. Can't wait to see some more pics of Milky.
Post a Comment
<< Home